As part of the DLSU Civil Engineering Department sustainable community engagement, the activity entitled: “DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY AT DON BOSCO CALAUAN: MAGKATUWANG SA PAGPAUNLAND SA KABUHAYAN SA SOUTHVILLE 7” was held last January 28, 2017. The main objective of Community Outreach 2017 is to expand the network of support to address the problems of lack of livelihood and income of the community.
The Community Outreach 2017 is composed of two major activities:
Activity 1: Three Civil Engineering Research-Based Initiatives & Services (CERBIS) researches were presented for possible adoption of the community, namely:
1) Effects of Fire on the Compressive Strength of Concrete Hollow Blocks mixed with Plastic Waste Aggregates
2) Investigation of Strength and Durability of Paving Blocks made of Non-Biodegradable Household Waste as Partial Substitute for Fine Aggregates
3) Effects of Plastic Wastes as Partial Aggregate Substitute to Concrete Hollow Blocks
Presented by: Nikko Villanueva and Maejann Cuartero
Presented by: Engr. Richard De Jesus
Presented by: Dr. Bernardo Lejano
The results of the three researches may help improve the quality of Concrete Hollow Blocks production and its technology being implemented in Don Bosco-Calauan.
Activity 2: A roundtable discussion among locals and faculty members of DLSU GCOE and COSCA occurred to address concerns of livelihood and product marketing.
The leaders of five livelihood projects in Don Bosco Calauan, namely: Rholly Aňonuevo of Zefferin Shoes, Angie Arceňo of Agos ng Pag-asa, Gil Subarufen of Agua Viviňa Alkaline Water Refilling Station, Salatiel Baculad of Rinaldi Builders and Bino Iraola of Margaret Café, shared their idea of solutions in uplifting the current status of their projects.
Together with Father Salvador Pablo, Bro Edward Villordon, and Ms. Susan Pullarca of Don Bosco, exchanges of ideas on how to market products, package and create branding had transpired among locals and the delegates from DLSU. Also there is a need to support the People’s Academy, where volunteers may train locals with livelihood-related skills.
The following were the outreach participants from DLSU:
- · Lessandro Garciano, Andy Oreta, Maria Cecilia Paringit, Richard De Jesus, Bernando Lejano, Lyn Vidad, Jonathan Uy, Angelo Custodio Nikko Villanueva, Maejann Cuartero of the Civil Engineeing Dept
- · Jeremias Gonzaga of Mechanical Engineering Dept.
- · Ann Dulay of Electronic and Communication Engineering Dept.
- · Ramon Christian Eusebio of VCRI/ Chemical Engg. Dept.
- · Norby Salonga of COSCA
- · Maria Natalia Dimaano (guest) Division #7 NRCP and UST:
“DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY AT DON BOSCO CALAUAN: MAGKATUWANG SA PAGPAUNLAND SA KABUHAYAN SA SOUTHVILLE 7”
DLSU Civil Engg. Dept. Community Outreach in Don Bosco, Calauan, Laguna on January 28, 2017