The Transportation Engineering Division of the Civil Engineering Department organized the Metro Manila Transportation Network: Big Data Analytics and Application Final Seminar last November 25, 2019 at the Henry Sy Sr. Hall. The seminar/workshop were attended by several researchers and engineers from the government, academe and private sectors who shared their expertise on various ways to address the current traffic congestion problem in Metro Manila. Dr. Raymond Tan, Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation welcomed the participants while Ms. Rachel Habana provided the opening remarks in lieu of Dr. Enrico Paringit, Executive Director, DOST-PCIEERD. DOST-PCIEERD provided the funds to conduct this research. A total of 51 participants, majority coming from the different LGUs and government agencies attended the seminar. There were 10 presentations including a presentation by Dr. Alexis Fillone on Big Data Analytics and Applications. The seminar was divided into two sessions and after each session there was a panel discussion with presenters answering questions and concerns from participants regarding the different issues in transportation.
(From the Left: Dr. Alexis Fillone, Dr. Elmer Dadios, Dr. Robert Billones, Engr. Kervin Lucas, Engr. Riches Bacero)
The following are the titles of the remaining presentations:
· Truck Route Modeling in Metro Manila by Engr. Riches BACERO
· Big Data Video Analytics Towards Smart Traffic Management Systems by Dr. Robert BILLONES
· Effects of Congestion Pricing on Vehicular Travel in BGC by Engr. Kervin LUCAS
· Contactless Apprehension of Traffic Violators on a 24-Hour Basis and All-Vehicle Detection System (CATCH-All) by Dr. Elmer DADIOS
· Effects of Flooding & Public Transport Routes by Engr. Raymund ABAD
· Assessment of Characteristics of Current of P2P in Users by Engr. Paolo LUCERO
· Optimal Location of Transport Terminals in Metro Manila by Dr. Krister ROQUEL
· Passenger Appraisal of Transport Related Attributes by Dr. Nicanor ROXAS Jr.
· Transport Desirability Application in Metro Manila by Dr. Neil LOPEZ & Dr. Jose Bienvenido BIONA
The studies and researches presented during the seminar gave the participants a better perspective on the different ways of addressing the traffic problems of Metro Manila. There is hope in the transportation industry of the country with professionals and experts in the forefront of providing solutions to this problem.
The seminar was hosted by Dr. Marlon Era of the Behavioral Science Department and at the same time was also the session chair during the presentations.
Prepared by Ms. Selina Nicole O. Catedral, Research Assistant, TRE Division