The 8th ERDT Congress with the theme, “The Rise of Smart Cities and Communitiies”was held on 23 August 2019 at the PICC. MSCE student and ERDT scholar, Eden Ditchella was awarded as the winner in the ERDT Poster Competition for the Environment and Infrastructure Category. Here poster on “Seismic Risk Assessment of Metro Manila DPWH Bridges”with Prof. Andres Oreta as adviser presented her project in the Seminar on Disaster Risk Reduction & Infrastructure Development (DRRID). In this research, existing DPWH RC bridges in QC, Marikina, Pasig, Makati, Taguig and Muntinlupa were assessed based on the hazard at the site like distance to a fault and liquefaction potential, vulnerability which is a function of the bridge condition and asset based on DPWH data on bridge needs ratio. (BNR). The final output is a list of the bridges with their corresponding risk index where bridges with high risk indices must be given immediate attention for a more detailed inspection and possible retrofit. Out of the 128 bridges assessed, 19 bridges belong to the high risk lever.
Aside from Engr. Ditchella, six posters from graduate students form DLSU Civil Engineering Department were also submitted. The titles and advisers of the posters are listed below:
· Risk analysis and assessment of public school buildings in the city of Malolos using MCDM and GIS – Emerzon S. Torres
· Quantifying a resilience index of a WDN under seismic hazard – Abraham Matthew S. Carandang & Dr. Lessandro Estelito O. Garciano
· Retrofitting rectangular concrete columns using R-PET bottle strips – Donovan E. Catindoy and Dr. Jason Maximino C. Ongpeng
· Destination choice model for earthquake evacuation using stated preference approach for residents in Surigao city, Philippines – Sherwin Roy Caumba and Dr. Alexis M. Fillone
· Characterization of truck traffic in Metro Manila – Riches S. Bacero and Dr. Alexis M. Fillone
· Experimental & numerical modeling of a tide embankment section in tacloban city subjected to storm surge waves – Patrick Shaun N. Ngo, Dr. Lessandro E.O. Garciano, Dr. Mario De Leon, Dr. Neil Stephen Lopez and Waseda University researchers